Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pyramidal Cheesecake


There are certain desserts that represent a certain country and this cheesecake is an example of a South African favourite. Tennis biscuits are South Africans' favourite coconut biscuit. I have not found a similar buttery coconut biscuit made anywhere else. Being very moreish, they're always welcomed at tea-time. These biscuits are an essential ingredient in this pyramidal cheesecake that yields pretty triangular slices. Any crumbly, square shaped (preferably coconut flavoured) biscuit could also be used if you're unable to find any Tennis biscuits.


I have been fortunate to always being able to locate these biscuits in South African food stores in England and Sydney. Their taste takes me back to my childhood when it was not uncommon for dinner guests to arrive with a pack of these biscuits as a gift. The combination of Tennis biscuits, sweetened cream cheese, fresh cream, chocolate and strawberries is a match made in heaven!


This cheesecake needs to be made a day in advance as it's best if frozen overnight and garnished with whipped fresh cream the next day. This softens the outer biscuits and makes it melt in your mouth!



Be imaginative with the decoration. Glace cherries, shaved chocolate and fruit can be used to garnish the cake as well. I've used chocolate hearts here to create our anniversary cake.  I've been making this cheesecake for my husband from the time I first met him and it still tickles his tastebuds!


It's an easy no-bake cheesecake with a unique appearance and bound to create "wows" at the table!



Recipe

You will need:


  • 36 Tennis biscuits or any square crumbly coconut biscuits
  • 125g margarine
  • 150ml caster sugar
  • 250g softened cream cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 5ml vanilla essence
  • 5ml lemon juice (optional)
  • 250ml fresh cream

Cream margarine and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla essence. Flavour with lemon juice if desired. Fold in cheese.
Lay out a piece of foil on the counter. Place 3 rows of biscuits on the foil, each row comprising 6 biscuits aligned close to each other in straight lines. Spread 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture on the biscuits and cover with another 3 rows of 6 biscuits closely aligned. Spread the rest of the mixture onto the top layer of biscuits. Placing your hands under the foil bring together the outer 2 rows of biscuits to meet over the middle row, producing a pyramid.
Cover with the foil and place in the freezer overnight. Garnish as desired with whipped fresh cream and strawberries the next day. Keep refrigerated after garnishing.

15 comments:

  1. That was like watching a movie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen tennis biscuits, but this definitely looks pretty cool and imaginative! I love the chocolate hearts on the side. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Adorable! Adorable! I love original presentations of a dessert like this one! And beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks gorgeous and sounds absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous! Almost too pretty to eat...almost :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha that is really awesome. I want a pyramidal cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great. In the states we make something similar to this type of cake with thin chocolate wafer cookies that are stacked together in a loaf cake pan with whipped cream between and over them. The whole concoction is chilled and sliced to serve. It has a name but I can't think of it, typical can't remember! I like your cake's pyramid shape, very creative:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome ! As a big fan of the tennis biscuits that you brought me, I'm sure that I would love this cheesecake.

    Thumbs up !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your kind comments. Tennis biscuits are indeed iconic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow i thought they made tennis biscuits all around the world. I love them so much use them in alot of desserts i make im from south africa. Jamey

    ReplyDelete
  12. what can I use other than the egg as I am vegeterian??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could omit the egg completely and the mixture should still hold together quite well especially if the cream cheese is softened.

      Delete
  13. thanks for the recipe! my mum used to make this when I was little - one of the best childhood memories. She made some chocolate icing sugar (cocoa, icing sugar and bit of water to mix) and spread it on the outside...perfect sweet and tangy mix. Gonna omit the egg though!

    ReplyDelete