Friday, July 23, 2010

Passionfruit and lemon syrup cake

Passionfruit cake

If only you could grab a piece and taste! You would know then just how good this moist, flavourful cake really tastes. I fear that my words alone do not do it justice. You'll just have to trust me then and take my word for it. This cake rocks! One piece will never be enough. And I'm not just saying that. Convinced yet?

Passionfruit cake

I've always loved passionfruit. Right from my childhood days in Durban when we had a vine growing over an arched trellis in our front garden bearing granadillas (the term for passionfruit in South Africa). We could walk under the purple hued jewels hanging from the vines, taking in their fragrance as they ripen. Now in Australia I find them in the greengrocers all year round at very reasonable prices too. They wrinkle as they ripen and are delightfully exotic in taste.

Passionfruit

Passionfruit

I've used passionfuit often as a colourful addition to fruit punches but it brings on a whole new flavour to a cake. A very moreish flavour!

Passionfruit cake

This recipe is adapted from The Australian Women's Weekly magazine. The cake is light, moist and fantastic! Certain to disappear very fast off your plates.

Passionfruit cake

Recipe:

You will need:


  • 160ml passionfruit pulp
  • 250g butter, softened
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 cups self-raising flour
For the lemon syrup:
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup caster sugar

Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC for convection ovens). Grease a deep 19cm square cake pan well and line the bottom with baking paper.
Strain the passionfruit pulp and reserve the seeds and juice separately.
Beat the butter, lemon rind and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating until combined between additions.
Fold in combined passionfruit juice and buttermilk, and sifted flour, in two batches.
Spread mixture into the pan and bake for about one hour till done.
For the lemon syrup combine the lemon juice, water, sugar and some of the reserved passionfruit seeds in a small saucepan. Stir until the sugar dissolves and then let boil for five minutes without stirring.
Stand the cake for 5 minutes in the tin and then turn out. Pour the hot lemon syrup over the cake and eat warm.

12 comments:

  1. This cake looks so delicate and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My, what a beautiful cake! I might have to go on a passion fruit hunt very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a delicate cake, but so flavourful! Definitely worth a passionfruit hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect dessert for the summer! Your photos are spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks absolutely gorgeous and I bet it tastes it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love passionfruit martinis, so I must love this! It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your lovely comments. This cake was an absolute hit with all that were lucky enough to get a piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog post made the Foodbuzz Top 9. Thanks to everyone for their kind support.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bake for local cafes, and this is one of my favourites (and the customers LOVE IT!) When I serve it at home, I also serve some sweet vanilla cream (whipped cream, 4 teaspoons of sugar, and a dash of vanilla - DIVINE!!)
    Hint: to make your cake moist always add 1/3 cup of mayonnaise. and NO you can't taste it, but YES it makes every cake moist and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the useful tip Christine. This cake is also one of my absolute favourites!

      Delete
  10. Hi I'm British and I really want to try out this recipe because it looks gorgeous, but I've only recently started baking and I'm used to grams, could you tell me how to convert cup measurements?! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was told a trick at the tender age of 12 as to how one can get a beautiful moist cake every time.... At the end of mixing, beating etc, add one finely grated apple :-) Have been using that tip for 50 years

    ReplyDelete